The ROOTS program helps to ensure that every child/youth in care from NIFCS’ Member Nations of Haisla and Tsimshian are connected to their family, their community, and their culture. The Roots Program offers services including, but not limited to:
- Assisting in creating family trees and genograms
- Complete family finding – to connect each child with family, in the hopes that every child has lifelong connections with family and community
- Assist in determining whether a child is entitled to be registered (Indian Act, Metis, Inuit)
- Assist in increasing connections with extended family, First Nation community and Nation
- Assist in increasing connections with culture – which may include gathering the child’s community’s history, traditional foods, spiritual practices, family photos, and more
- Assist in youth transition planning
For more information, please contact NIFCS.